+ I need financial assistance during COVID-19.

NEW Canada Recovery Benefits

If you were receiving CERB (Canada Emergency Response Benefit), you may be eligible for one of the new recovery benefits retroactive to September 27, 2020 and available until September 25, 2021.

The three new benefits are:

  • Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) *applications open Oct 12: If you were receiving CERB, you may be eligible for one of the new recovery benefits retroactive to September 27, 2020 and available until September 25, 2021.
  • Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) *applications opened Oct 5: The Canada Recovery Caregiving Benefit (CRCB) will provide $500 per week (taxable, tax deducted at source) for up to 26 weeks per household. This benefit is for workers unable to work for at least 50% of the week because they must care for a child under the age of 12 or family member due to one of the following reasons: schools, day-cares or care facilities being closed due to COVID-19, the child or family member is sick and/or required to quarantine, or the child/family member is at high risk of serious health implications because of COVID-19. This benefit will be paid in one-week periods.
  • Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB) *applications opened October 5: The Canada Recovery Sickness Benefit (CRSB) will provide $500 per week (taxable, tax deducted at source) for up to a maximum of two weeks. This benefit is for workers who are unable to work for at least 50% of the week because they contracted COVID-19, self-isolated for reasons related to COVID-19, have underlying conditions, are undergoing treatments or have contracted other sicknesses that, in the opinion of a medical practitioner, nurse practitioner, person in authority, government or public health authority, would make them more susceptible to COVID-19. This benefit will be paid in one-week periods.
  • The Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) ends when you’ve received 28 weeks of benefits or on October 3,2020, whichever comes first. For those who applied through the Canada Revenue Agency, the last four-week period for the CERB was August 30, 2020 through September 26, 2020. However, you can still apply for the CERB retroactively through CRA.

For more information, click here to visit the Canada Benefits site.

Emergency Financial Assistance

If you are facing an unexpected emergency, you can apply for emergency financial assistance. You can get help when:

  • A situation is caused by unforeseeable circumstances beyond your control, and
  • It presents a severe health risk, and
  • You cannot access other resources or wait until your next pay-cheque or Income Support benefit cheque.

What’s covered?

This allowance can cover costs for:

  • Food
  • Clothing
  • Childcare
  • Transportation
  • Damage deposit
  • Temporary accommodation
  • Utility arrears (you must repay this money if you need help with utility arrears more than once)
  • Eviction payments (you must repay this money if you need help with eviction payments more than once)

Emergency Needs Allowance rates are published on page two of the Financial Benefits Summary.

Costs that may be covered, but must be repaid include:

  • Essential home repairs
  • Essential appliance repairs

You must provide proof of need, such as:

  • An arrears statement or eviction notice
  • A utility bill or statement for utility arrears
  • Proof from a reliable source that the item is essential, like an unsafe wiring notice from the fire department


You can apply for the Emergency Needs Allowance if:

  • You are a current Income Support client
  • You are an Albertan earning an income, but you do not have enough money to cover this one-time, short-term emergency that will last no longer than a month
  • You meet the Income Support program eligibility requirements

Income Support Contact Centre

You can now apply online to the Income Support Contact Centre to receive emergency food benefits via Interac e-Transfer. Once you have provided the required information, you will be asked to call the Income Support Contact Centre to confirm your eligibility.

Apply at MyAlbertaEmergency Benefits to start the online application process.

Income Support

Income Support can help you and your family with basic living costs and other necessities. Depending on your needs and situation you may be eligible to receive assistance through Alberta’s Income Support program.

Contact your Income Support worker for all related Income Support questions. If you do not know how to reach your worker, contact your local Alberta Supports or Alberta Works Centre.


Alberta Supports Contact Centre

Hours: 7:30 am to 8pm (open Monday to Friday, closed statutory holidays)
Toll free: 1-877-644-9992

24-hour Emergency Income Support Contact Centre

Get emergency financial assistance to help with basic needs like shelter, food, clothing and transportation.

Hours: 24/7
Toll free:1-866-644-5135
Fax: 780-422-9681

Depending on your needs, ability to work and size of your family, you may get money for:

  • Basic expenses like food, clothing and shelter
  • Childcare
  • Special diets
  • Utility connection fees
  • Work-related expenses
  • Unexpected emergencies
  • Costs to leave family violence
  • School expenses for children

The Financial Benefits Summary provides a more detailed breakdown of available Income Support benefits. Income Support recipients also receive health benefits along with:

  • Employment services
  • Help receiving child support

Income Support recipients are encouraged and supported to work. You keep all of your wages and only a portion of your earnings are taken into account when calculating your Income Support benefits.


There are several factors that affect your eligibility for income support. If you meet these criteria, you can apply for Income Support. The process typically takes 2weeks.

You must:

  • Live in Alberta
  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, refugee or refugee claimant


You must:

  • Be unable to pay for your basic needs
  • Not have income or assets that exceeds $5,000 in RRSPs per adult / $10,000 equity in vehicles
  • Not have income that exceeds what you would receive from Income Support core benefits
  • Not have cash or savings that exceed the liquid asset limit (the limit is generally three times the Income Support core benefit amount you would be eligible to receive)
  • Be willing to apply for other income programs that you may be eligible to receive (such as Employment Insurance)

Ability to work

Your situation must be one of the following. You:

  • Are looking for work
  • Are working but not earning enough
  • Are unable to work for a short time
  • Need help to access training to find a job
  • Are unable to work due to chronic health problems or other concerns

Information and planning

You must be willing to:

  • Provide personal and financial information for all members of your household
  • Develop and follow a plan with your Income Support worker to improve your situation

Click here to learn how to apply.

+ How can I pay my mortgage?

Homeowners facing financial hardship may be eligible for a mortgage payment deferral of up to six months.

In short, a mortgage payment deferral is the agreement between you and the lender to pause or suspend your mortgage for a certain amount of time. Once this time ends, you return to your normal mortgage payments.

To find out if you are eligible for mortgage deferrals, contact your bank or your mortgage professional!

For more information, consult the following links:

+ I am having difficulties feeding my family. Where can I get free food?

To find free food including food banks, food hampers and free meals, please refer to this page.

Upon clicking the website, please click your area and you will be given a directory of locations that offer free food.

Be aware that many food banks will ask for details of your financial situation before providing a hamper. It is best to have an idea of your income and expenses before you call. This includes rent, childcare, transportation, medical, and utilities.